Towards a specific goal
The basis of a successful mentoring process is having a clear understanding of what you want to achieve. It is very important to thoroughly think about the reasons that motivated you to enter the mentoring process, what you expect to gain from it, and how you can contribute to it. Mentor’s role is to support the mentee in achieving his/her goals, on a personal and professional level, by opening new perspectives, providing different opinions and new strategies to overcome obstacles along the way. It is essential that the mentee clearly defines his/her goals in order to identify the fields in which (s)he needs mentor’s support during the mentoring process.
Well-defined goals should be in accordance with the SMART model (Specific, Measurable/Meaningful, Attainable, Realistic and Timely).
- What are mentee’s short, medium and long term goals?
- Where does the mentee imagine him/herself in one year, after completing the mentoring process?
- Draft a strategy for achieving each of your goals.
- Which resources does a mentee already have and which ones does (s)he need?
- What are the fields for further development that will generate the greatest effects?
- What kind of support, advice and assistance does a mentee expect?
- What kind of help, advice and support can a mentor provide?
- How will you know that the progress has been made?