A regular reflection on the mentoring process is a key to the successful mentoring relationship. You should dedicate time to think about the following questions between two mentoring sessions (usually 10-30 minutes every month). This way, you will be able to identify potential challenges and accomplishments in your mentoring relationship. If you face difficulties in your rapport, the best way to deal with them is to openly discuss them with your mentor/mentee. Likewise, it is important to highlight successes that have been important to you, in order to clarify in which direction to continue the mentoring process. At the end of each mentoring session, reflect on the process together with your mentor/mentee and share your thoughts. Use the following questions as the guideline:
- Are you satisfied with the progress of your mentoring process?
- Which new perspective did you discover after the last mentoring session?
- If there are some difficulties, describe them briefly.
- How does working with a mentor influence your personal and/or professional development?
- Briefly describe one good thing that happened as a result of the previous mentoring session.
- Do you have a need that you don’t know how to express in the mentorship relationship?
- Would you recommend to one of your peers to enter in a mentorship relationship?